Quang Ngai to commemorate victims of Son My massacre

Source: Pano feed






On March 16, an incense offering ceremony was held by the Quang Ngai authority to commemorate victims of the Son My (My Lai) massacre conducted by US troops during the war. ​


Quang Ngai province’s leaders, hundreds of local people and pupils attended the event, which took place at Son My War Remnants Memorial in Tinh Khe commune, Quang Ngai city.


Forty seven years ago, on March 16, 1968, the US army cruelly killed 504 unarmed Vietnamese citizens in the hamlets of My Lai and My Khe in Son My village, Son Tinh district (now Quang Ngai city), Quang Ngai province. All the victims were civilians, including women, children and old people. Hundreds of local houses, stocks of food, cattle and poultry were destroyed and killed.


Since then, every year on March 16, Son My people recall their heart-breaking history.



Mike Boehm plays “The sound of the violin in My Lai”


At the ceremony, participants offered incense to commemorate 504 victims and listened to Mike Boehm, a US war veteran, managing director of Madison Quakers Organization, playing a piece of music “The sound of the violin in My Lai”.



After the ceremony, Madison Quakers Inc. in coordination with the provincial Agent Orange Victims Society granted Son My scholarships to 54 disadvantaged pupils in Tinh Khe commune.


Minh Thien





Đăng ký: VietNam News